Why you should make Green Beans and Almonds!
I love side dishes that are homemade, fresh, and take no time at all. This green bean side dish foots that bill!
With steamed fresh green beans and just a few simple ingredients, you can class up your side dish to a gourmet green bean that tastes delicious.
This green bean almondine recipe is also amazing for extensive batch holiday side dish menus and takes a few alterations and time to enjoy.
- minced garlic– I hardly ever mess with garlic in whole pieces. I love buying jars of minced garlic at the store. It makes working with garlic a breeze and a lot less messy on your hands.
- butter– Don’t get weird, and add fake butter here. Fresh green beans deserve real butter! Unsalted or salted is a person choice in this green bean recipe.
- almond slivers– Before you ask, substituting almonds for anything else would mean its no longer Green BeansAlmondine. But of course, if you don’t love almonds, you can leave them out or try another nut like Walnuts or Macadamias.
- fresh green beans – ends snipped and steamed/cooked
- cooking oil –the oil you choose has an effect on the taste, so I always use a simple oil like vegetable oil and skip the stronger oils like Olive Oil.
- Seasonings – salt and pepper and cayenne pepper. For an extra salty green bean dish, use kosher salt.
- feta cheese crumbles– Not everyone loves feta; it took my husband half his life to really enjoy this cheese. But you could also try goat cheese or blue cheese if you want to get fancy.
Steam Green Beans First
Before starting this recipe, it assumes that your green beans are fully cooked. If you are using fresh green beans, the best way to do that is to steam them, which takes about 10 minutes.
Just follow your steam or rice cooker instructions to have them prepped.
How to make Green Beans Almondine.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat garlic, butter, and almond slivers for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic begin to brown and you have toasted almonds. Remove the cast iron pan from the heat.
- Add pre-steamed green beans and oil. Season with salt and black pepper, and add a pinch of cayenne pepper. Mix all simple ingredients well.
- Top fresh beans with crumbled Feta cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated oven or until all is heated. If you like, serve with a little squeeze of lemon juice and some extra almond garnish.
Perfect Side Dish for a Holiday Meal
Green Beans Almondine is also a great way to impress with a unique recipe on Thanksgiving or Christmas menus and, with only minutes to make, is a no fuss and easy way to add more to the table with little work.
Now “classic green beans almondine” is a simple dish that sautes beans in butter and has the added crunch of almonds, but a few changes can elevate this side dish to something super special.
You will notice in this particular recipe that I have added delicious feta cheese, which MAKES it.
Green Beans Almondine for a Crowd
Feeding 20? Party of 100? Go you!
This is a simple prep recipe for 1 pound of fresh green beans, but you can easily double your sauce and almonds with the same results.
Remember that you need a casserole or cast iron pan to fit your desired amount.
But because this is a quick and easy recipe, you could also do two pans at once or steam the beans and throw the ingredients in a slow cooker to finish this delicious side dish.
- 1 pound of green beans serves approximately 4 people– unless you are serving kids, and then it serves like 25 since most won’t eat more than one green bean.
Can you make Green Beans Almondine with Canned Green Beans?
Yep! You can use canned green beans in green bean almondine but DONT.
You could use very well drained canned green beans (they will be missing the crunch) or alter for frozen green beans (a better choice) if you do not have fresh green beans available.
Personally, there really is no substitute for fresh- they have the best crunch, but in a pinch, and if you HAD to, you could substitute pretty easily.
Just be aware that canned beans need good draining or may bring extra moisture to the dish.
Serve Green Beans Almondine Recipe with –
This simple side dish pairs with a ton of great main dishes. I love a green beans recipe as it provides a ton of fantastic flavor alongside weeknight dinner and some much needed color!
Green Bean Side Dishes
Need more Green bean side options?
Our favorite vegetable side dish has to be this classic green bean casserole, a delicious option for main dish meals or holiday menus.
If you want to get creative, we adore diced green beans, and crispy air fried green beans are both holiday dinner approved.Lastly, a green beans and bacon recipe will always have our hearts (and tastebuds).