Mexican Chicken Casserole is a Mexican inspired easy baked dinner recipe that combines delicious flavors for a tried and true meal everyone will love. Layered with cheese, chicken and veggies, and topped with crunchy tortillas, this Mexican casserole is a family favorite every night of the week!
Looking to kick off May with some Mexican? Hot off the press from our sour cream chicken enchiladas, have I got a great new recipe for you!
I made this Mexican Chicken Casserole in a one pot dish since I had my cast iron skillet, but if you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can pour it into a 9×13 greased baking pan and bake that way.
(All that said, you SHOULD cook with a cast iron, they are WONDERFUL. This is my favorite cast iron pan.)
This casserole about 15 minutes to put together and then baking time, so not too much time at all for a delicious meal.
While this recipe goes perfect for your Taco Tuesday or Fajita Friday, there so many other Mexican friendly recipes you can find in my Cinco De Mayo Recipe list here too! Make sure you check it out (my Chicken Lime soup is a favorite!) so you can expand that palette and make a true homemade Mexican menu.
Mexican Chicken Casserole
This will become one of your easiest and yummiest weeknight meals! Family friendly and easily adaptable, this one pot meal is a no mess solution to create a “lets have more” recipe. I cannot wait to hear what you think! Another favorite easy recipe of mine is this chicken spaghetti recipe. Make sure you try that too!
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed (or shredded)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 can, 15 oz, black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can, 15 oz, corn, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa (you can change the heat of the meal by changing the salsa you add)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- chopped green onions, optional for serving
Other delicious Mexican Recipes:
Mexican Casserole Recipe
In a large cast iron skillet, heat chicken until browned.
Add taco seasoning and mix well.
Stir in beans, corn, salsa, and water.
Heat all your ingredients on medium high heat for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
Pour your chicken mixture into baking pan if using or top with chips and cheese.
If you are using a cast iron, just top with crunchy chips and cheese.
Heat in oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted on top.
Serve immediately topped with green onions, sour cream, and Pico De Gallo!
Mexican Casserole Baking Tips
- You can alter Mexican food pretty easily, so feel free to substitute for beef or pork over chicken
- Don’t love black beans? Refried beans are just as yummy!
- We also love a lot of toppings, so keep jalapeno’s, black olives and diced avocado ready for this recipe