Mexican Chicken Casserole is a Mexican inspired easy baked dinner recipe that combines delicious flavors for a tried and true meal everyone will love. Layered with cheese, chicken and veggies, and topped with crunchy tortilla chips, this Mexican casserole is a family favorite every night of the week!
Looking to kick off May with some Mexican? I made this Mexican Chicken Casserole in a one pot dish since I had my cast iron skillet, but if you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can pour it into a 9×13 greased baking dish and bake that way.
This casserole is only about 15 minutes to put together and then baking time, so not too much time at all for a delicious meal.
Mexican Chicken Casserole
This cheesy Mexican chicken casserole will become one of your easiest and yummiest weeknight meals!
Family-friendly and easily adaptable, this one-pot meal is a no-mess solution to create a “lets have more” recipe. I am all about the quick, easy, and simple dishes that make everyone in my family happy.
I cannot wait to hear what you think!
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed (or shredded)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 can, 15 oz, black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can, 15 oz, corn, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa (you can change the heat of the meal by changing the salsa you add)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- chopped green onions, optional for serving
How to make Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350. If using a baking pan, grease with nonstick cooking spray and set dish aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat chicken until browned. As a side note, you can use Rotisserie chicken (already cooked) to substitute for shredded chicken and pick up right at the next stage of the recipe.
- Add seasoning and mix well.
- Stir in beans, corn, salsa, and water.
- Heat all ingredients on medium high heat for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Pour chicken mixture into baking pan if using or top with tortilla chips and cheese.
- If you are using a cast iron over a baking dish, just top with crunchy chips and cheese.
- Heat Mexican Chicken Casserole in oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted on top.
- Serve immediately topped with green onions, sour cream, and Pico De Gallo!
- Serves 4-6
Mexican Casserole Baking Tips
- You can alter Mexican food pretty easily, so feel free to substitute for beef over chicken.
- Don’t love black beans? Refried beans are just as yummy!
- We also love a lot of toppings, so keep jalapeno’s, black olives and diced avocado ready for this recipe.