If you hang out on my side dish recipe blog for a bit (or come back for future recipes) you will start to notice that I love cheese. WHO DOESNT?? If I can add Velveeta, feta, blue cheese or mozzarella on it, I am IN.
Like lasagna without the pasta, this baked ricotta dip is perfect for Ricotta cheese lovers. And with any good Italian recipe, this baked ricotta dip includes fresh basil leaves, shredded mozzarella, ricotta cheese (obviously) and fresh grape tomatoes.
Roasted Ricotta Dip Ingredients
Layered up and oven baked, this hot cheesy dip goes great with a piece of toasty crusted bread.
- Tomatoes – Grape tomatoes, cherry tomatoes or even the beautiful multicolored Wild Wonders tomatoes are a good choice. If you want to stick to the original recipe to start out, use grape tomatoes.
- Cheese – Ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese
- Seasonings – Parsley, Red Pepper Flakes, Fresh Basil, Minced Garlic, Salt & Pepper
Aside from that, you will also need an egg, lemon juice, and of course something to dip into this ricotta dip, like crusty bread, toasted crackers, or large fresh croutons.
Roast the Tomatoes
Because this Baked Ricotta Cheese dip layers the cheese on top of the tomatoes, you must first oven roast the tomatoes in oil and garlic for the base.
If you simply add all ingredients together without doing this, the tomatoes won’t roast down properly.
Layer Ricotta Cheese
The next step in the dip recipe is to combine all the rest of the ingredients (full list in the recipe card below) and layer in the casserole dish and then bake. This includes all the cheeses, spices, egg and lemon.
The roasted tomatoes are dumped on top of the ricotta cheese layer and the whole dish goes into the oven.
Why isn’t the Ricotta Gooey?
When cheese is made there are basically two parts: Curds and Whey (I know you have heard this nursery rhyme). Normal cheese takes out the curds to make cheese….Ricotta is basically left over tiny fragments of curds.
It doesn’t really melt down like you would notice in a shredded cheese so this dip doesn’t have that natural cheese pull you get from other dips like Hot Caprese Dip.
What is the best way to serve Baked Ricotta Cheese Dip
Hot dips like this should be made and served immediately to get the freshest and most delicious taste out of the dip. As cheese cools it can overall harden and no one wants that in a dip.
As far as having the best dipper for an Italian dip, bread is the obvious choice. Either small crusted breads that are typically in deli departments or even toasted Italian Bread. Another option would be to home make large croutons for a finger dipper. Croutons are fairly easy to make with just cut up day old bread, tossed in a vegetable oil, sprinkled with garlic salt and baked till crispy.
Last but not least, large tortellini or stuffed shell pastas on a toothpick would make a great savory and filling choice for this ricotta dip.
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 container, 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- grated parmesan cheese
- toasted bread for serving
- Add grape tomatoes, olive oil and minced garlic to a casserole dish.
- Combine all together well so the garlic and oil gets on the tomatoes.
- Season tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Carefully remove dish from oven. Turn oven down to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, lemon juice, shredded mozzarella cheese, dried parsley, red pepper flakes and mix well.
- Spread ricotta cheese mixture on the bottom of a freshly greased casserole dish.
- Top the ricotta with the previously baked garlic roasted tomatoes.
- Add fresh chopped basil and grated parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake Ricotta Dip at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until hot.
- Serve dip immediately with toasted bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 291mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 14g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.