Microwave Desserts are one of the best ways to enjoy a single serving of ooey, gooey and warm Rice Krispie treats in under one minute.
Perfect for an after-dinner craving, Rice Krispies in a mug (or bowl) have the same old-fashioned treat and flavor you want without the work – or the waiting.
Why you will love making Microwave Desserts!
And there is nothing better than enjoying something at home versus having to pick up prepackaged desserts!
This single-serve Rice Krispie in a bowl is the microwave dessert recipe that is ready when you need a sweet treat.
Dorm Room Friendly – Have a teen or young adult college-bound or simply in their apartment?
This trick to make small batch Rice Krispie treats (Without mom there) can be whipped up simply with a microwave. Insanely good, this generationally loved dessert gets an upgrade for one.
- mini marshmallows
- salted butter
- Rice Krispies cereal – Any brand of crispy rice cereal will work, but we love the Kellogs version for the most authentic crispy treats taste.
How to make Single Serve Rice Krispie Treats
- Add marshmallows and butter to a microwave-safe bowl or mug and microwave on high for 20-30 seconds.
- Marshmallows double in size and may bubble over the microwave-safe mug, so if you have a larger mug, that might work better. Use caution, as marshmallows can be very hot.
- Stir well until butter is completely melted and mixed with marshmallows.
- Add cereal to marshmallow mixture and combine until cereal mixture is evenly coated.
This recipe is really easy to alter! While we have suggested mini marshmallow and rice cereal measurements, it’s just fine to add more melty miniature marshmallows, or more Rice Krispie treats.
This is one dessert recipe you can adjust to find the taste and texture you enjoy the most.
Expert Rice Krispie in a Mug Tips
- Add additional flavor with a tiny bit of vanilla extract to the mug!
- Once it’s out of the microwave, drop in mix-ins like mini chocolate chips, extra marshmallows, sprinkles, Nutella, or a tsp of brown sugar. It’s fun to get creative!
- Serve this simple recipe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Substitute butter for peanut butter!
- Use fresh marshmallows.
- Try this breakfast of champions with other cereals – like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cheerios, or Fruity Pebbles.
Should I spray the mug with Non-Stick Cooking Spray?
Marshmallows can indeed stick to pans quite easily.
However, in this case, as a single serving treat, fill the mug or bowl with some water after eating and then rinse and wash.
We dont find that it sticks enough to warrant any spray.
Related Recipes in a Mug
Did you know you can make mac and cheese in a mug?
Nothing more delicious than an Oreo Mug Cake Recipe.
All it takes is 1 minute to make a Molten Lava Mug Cake.