This simple sour cream, mayo, and chives recipe is so good that you’ll want to double it the first time; perfect for a potluck or party.
Quick and easy, Sour Cream and Chive Dip can be made in advance and is loaded with savory seasonings for the best chip dip ever.
This sour cream dip recipe is so good you’ll want to eat it with a spoon!
Made with simple ingredients like sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, dill, and chives, but oh-so-flavorful. The perfect quick appetizer for any party or potluck, this crowd-pleaser dip is a mix-and-go recipe that takes only minutes to make and minutes to replenish in a pinch.
- Full-fat sour cream
- real mayonnaise (if you want to go homemade, try our egg-free mayonnaise recipe).
- Dry chopped chives
- Additional seasonings: dried dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Serve with kettle chips, ripple potato chips like Ruffles, corn chips, Ritz crackers, cucumber slices, or raw vegetables.
Chip Dip Tip!
This sour cream and chive dip tastes similar to the French onion dip you buy. It’s delicious, but you might want to start by doubling it since it doesn’t make enough for more than one day! HA!
How to Make Sour Cream and Chive Dip
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or make ahead and chill overnight for the creamy flavors to mingle. The 30 minutes are usually needed for the chive to soften properly in the dip.
- Serve dip chilled with crispy potato chips, carrot sticks, broccoli florets, or any fresh veggies, and optionally top with sliced green onion.
Pairings and Serving Suggestions
Vegetable Platter: This one is obvious. Here are our choices for the best veggies for dipping.
Aside from serving sour cream chive dip with tortilla chips, pretzels, and pita chips, we love it as a condiment for burgers and sandwiches, a topping for baked potatoes and fries, or a delicious garnish for tacos and quesadillas.
Classic Dip Recipes
Tangy Ranch Dip: Ranch dip is a popular, creamy, and flavorful party dip often served with various snacks and appetizers. It is typically made using a base of mayonnaise and sour cream combined with a mixture of herbs, spices, and other seasonings for the perfect appetizer.
Zesty Dill Dip: The main flavor profile of dill dip is fresh and herbaceous, thanks to the generous use of dill weed. Dill weed is an aromatic herb with feathery green leaves and a slightly sweet and tangy taste.
Healthier Alternatives to Traditional Sour Cream Chip Dip
Greek Yogurt-based Dip: This 5-minute dip is an alternative version to a typical ranch dip and relies on unflavored Greek yogurt for that same creamy texture that goes great with vegetable dippers.
Tips for Making and Storing Sour Cream Dips
Proper storage and refrigeration
- Store in an airtight container: Transfer the sour cream dip into a clean container before refrigerating. This helps to maintain its flavor and prevent cross-contamination with other foods in the refrigerator.
- Check the expiration date: If using store-bought sour cream, always check the expiration date before purchasing.
- Avoid leaving at room temperature: Sour cream dip should not be left at room temperature for an extended period, especially in warm environments. We say 2 hours before it returns to the fridge – if it lasts that long.
Regional Variations of Sour Cream Dips
Tex-Mex Sour Cream Dip: Tex-Mex Sour Cream Dip is a regional variation of sour cream dip that draws inspiration from the vibrant flavors of Tex-Mex cuisine. This dip incorporates traditional Tex-Mex ingredients and spices like lime, cilantro, and cumin, resulting in a creamy and zesty dip with a hint of heat.
Southwest Chipotle Dip – Southwest Chipotle Dip is a regional variation of sour cream dip that takes inspiration from Southwestern cuisine’s bold and smoky flavors. This dip combines the creamy base of sour cream with the spicy and smoky notes of chipotle peppers.
Mediterranean Tzatziki Dip: This dip features the refreshing and tangy flavors of Greek cuisine, combining creamy yogurt with cucumbers, garlic, and herbs. You can also check out an avocado tzatziki dip recipe here.