There is no doubt that you have tried mozzarella sticks. They are one of the worlds most decadent and fun to eat appetizers ever. I mean….fried cheese? Who turns THAT down! But have you ever tried air frying babybel cheese? The thick round Babybel cheeses (that also come in 6 variety of flavors) are a fantastic way to enjoy a major bite of mozzarella with the perfect outside crunch and all from an Air Fryer!
This recipe, which has been making its rounds as a TikTok Viral Recipe tip, is no doubt one of the best viral recipes to come out in 2021 and we knew we had to try it.
While this Fried Babybel Cheese recipe only accounts for the regular bags of Babybel cheeses, which are about 10 pieces, Costco sells the bags with 36 cheeses if you are going to need a lot more.
TikTok Fried Babybel Ingredients
Can you fry cheese in an Air Fryer? YES YES YES! This Air Fryer version is the widely used TikTok version that is the same way we do a lot of fried chicken around here. It has a double layer of egg and bread crumbs, making sure there is a thick and covered crunch.
- Babybel round cheeses, unwrapped and wax removed
- all purpose flour
- Italian bread crumbs
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ground pepper
How to Bread Babybel Cheese Rounds
Add flour into a shallow bowl.
Add eggs into a separate shallow bowl and beat well.
In the third bowl, combine bread crumbs and seasonings and mix well.
Remove plastic and colored wax from cheese rounds. Dredge mozzarella cheese into flour first and gently tap off excess.
Dredge cheese into egg, making sure to coat both sides of the round and follow by coating in breadcrumb mixture.
Repeat another dip into the egg and bread crumbs, so you have 2 coats of egg and bread crumbs onto the cheese.
How to Fry Babybel Cheese
Once cheese is ready with double coats of egg and bread crumb mixture, its time to fry. I use a Ninja Foodi Air Fryer but this technique should work with any brand you own.
Preheat air fryer at 400 degrees for 5 minutes to warm basket.
Place cheese into basket, making sure one of them touch.
Heat cheese rounds for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.
Remove carefully (tongs are great) and serve while still hot.
Please note, as with all fried cheese or fried mozzarella sticks, that once this appetizer cools, the cheese will start to harden back up to its original state. Fried Babybel Cheese is best served while still hot with a variety of dips like marinara or ranch.
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you are a fan of the air fryer, I totally get it! An Air fryer is one of the best investments in a modern day kitchen because so many variety of foods and recipes can be made quickly. And if you have an Ninja Foodi all in one that does pressure cooking, air fryer, baking and more – EVEN BETTER!
PROTIEN: Did you know that you can make air fryer chicken tenders? So simple to do, chicken is soft and tender right in an air fryer basket! This base recipe can be used to make quick school night dinners and once you know how, can be altered for any variety of spices and herbs.
- 10 Babybel round cheeses, unwrapped and wax removed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Add all purpose flour into a shallow bowl or plate.
- Whisk eggs together and into a separate shallow bowl.
- In the third bowl, combine bread crumbs and seasonings and mix well.
- Remove any paper or wax from Babybel Cheese Rounds.
- Dredge Mozzarella cheese into flour first and gently tap off excess.
- Add floured Babybel Cheese into egg, making sure to coat both sides of cheese.
- Put egg dredged cheese into breadcrumb mixture and coat both sides.
- Repeat another dip into the egg and bread crumbs, so you have 2 coats of egg and bread crumbs onto one piece of cheese.
- Complete all cheese rounds.
- Preheat air fryer at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Place breaded cheese into Air Fryer basket, making sure the cheese rounds do not touch.
- Air Fry for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Remove carefully (tongs typically work) and serve while hot and melty.
Serve deep fried cheese rounds with typical pizza sauces like marinara or ranch.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 1132mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 19g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.