Caprese pizza is an easy dinner or appetizer recipe surely to make the slices disappear in minutes. And with a delicious balsamic glaze and a variety of beautiful tomatoes, the flavor pops right off the plate.
Let me paint this picture – its 6 pm, your significant other just walked in the door and you have sports practice in an hour. This is where most of you (guilty here too) just turn to McDonald’s and call it a night. No need!
This made in under 30 and eat in mere minutes Caprese Pizza dinner doubles down as an appetizer, snack, lunch, heck eat it cold and call it breakfast too!
Homemade Caprese pizza is hands down one of the easiest ways to get dinner done and everyone satisfied. Pizza is good, its quick, and it’s way less guilt than caving into fast food or cereal for dinner.
Caprese Pizza Recipe
This pizza recipe, which is perfect for Pizza night, makes approximately 8 full slices of pizza.
Let’s get starting making your ooey, gooey, deliciously divine homemade Caprese pizza!
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here are what ingredients you need to gather to get started:
- balsamic vinegar
- pre-packed pizza crust
- olive oil
- basil pesto
- salt and pepper
- mozzarella cheese
- heirloom tomatoes
- sliced fresh basil leaves
Meal Prep for Caprese Pizza
Note your pre-made pizza crust instructions to find out what temperature to preheat the oven. You can easily grab bagged fresh dough from most bakery areas in grocery stores or simply unroll dough from a can.
Can you make Caprese pizza with Grape Tomatoes?
Really the tomato choice is up to you, but I like the regular heirloom tomatoes for Caprese.
You can also get fancy and get the orange and yellow ones for a variety of flavors and textures on your pizza.
It’s like an Italian restaurant but at home!
Recipe for Fresh Mozzarella Caprese Pizza
To get started on making your Caprese pizza, you first need to prep the perfect balsamic glaze reduction.
In a small saucepan add balsamic vinegar.
Heat Balsamic vinegar on medium low for 5-6 minutes.
Stir occasionally until mixture begins to thicken.
Remove balsamic reduction from heat and let cool.
Mixture will continue to thicken as it cools.
How to make Caprese Pizza
There are several ways to assemble Caprese pizza. You can use pre-made pizza crust (as I did here), get all crazy and make your own pizza dough you have loads of kitchen time today, or just use French bread for more of a Caprese flatbread or bruschetta option.
Mix oil and pesto together and spread onto pizza crust.
Season entire pizza crust with salt and pepper.
Place sliced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese slices on top.
Bake pizza on a baking sheet or pizza stone for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Remove Caprese pizza from oven and top with fresh basil and drizzle with homemade balsamic reduction before serving.
Tools used to make Perfect Caprese Pizza
Cooking is half about following instructions and half about preparation. Here are two tools that will help you make sure your pizza is just as good as your local pie shop.
- Pizza Stone – pizza stones are great for a beautiful crust without the burn
- Pizza Cutter – nothing like using a perfect pizza cutter to make sure you cut even slices no matter your ingredients
Another good variation?
Add some prosciutto! Everything I ate in Italy had prosciutto and while its a little bit pricey, its amazing.
Looking for more of the Best Caprese Recipes?
- Caprese Salad – Traditional salad with mozzarella balls and grape tomatoes.
- Caprese Salad Salsa – Bet you can’t dip just once!
- Caprese Sandwich Sliders – Skip the salad and pull out the sweet bread, these melty sliders are just what you want RIGHT NOW!
- Caprese Lady Bug Appetizer – So cute you wont even want to eat them!
BEST Caprese Pizza Recipe
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 pre-packed pizza crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- salt and pepper
- 7 slices mozzarella cheese
- 9 slices heirloom tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons sliced fresh basil
- In a small saucepan add vinegar. Heat on medium low for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir occasionally until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and let cool. Mixture will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Mix oil and pest together and spread onto pizza crust.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place cheese slices and tomatoes on top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (you can look at pizza crust package for recommended temp and timing) or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic reduction before serving.
- Makes 8 slices