The Caprese Sandwich (often called Caprese Sliders) is a delicious way to get your tomato, mozzarella, and basil right into a personal-sized appetizer.
Easy to whip up and dripping in melty cheese, talk about a party favorite!!
Why you will love these Mini Cheese Sandwiches
1. They’re easy as 1 2 3 – they take less than 10 minutes to put together.
2. You don’t need any special equipment. Just grab an oven-safe pan, assemble and heat!
3. The ingredients are simple and you probably have at least half of them in your house right now.
4. These mini Caprese sandwiches taste amazing because they use King’s Hawaiian Rolls.
5. Everyone loves them.
I think when it comes down to lunch I often get super bored- and so do the kids. These mini Caprese finger sandwiches are a burst of flavor to take you out of the mundane and help you enjoy lunch again! Plus this recipe is so easy to expand and make for parties. No one turns down melty mozzarella, thin slices of tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves smothered in garlic butter.
Additionally, this appetizer can be fully robust into a dinner recipe by adding some cooked chicken or deli meat on top. These are perfect for parties, game-day snacks, tailgating, potlucks, picnics, barbeques, and so much more!
- King’s Hawaiian rolls, cut in half
- basil pesto
- mozzarella cheese
- slices of tomatoes
- fresh basil
- melted butter
- minced garlic
- Spread basil pesto on the bottom (and top if you like more) of each sweet Hawaiian roll.
- Top the sliders with thickly sliced Mozzarella cheese,
- Add thin tomato slices.
- Now add large basil leave and top of the bun to sliders and place into the prepared dish.
- Mix together melted butter and minced garlic and spread on the tops of the buns. Be careful not to let butter fall in between buns or it may make the bottom of the sliders softer.
- Bake sliders for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve your Caprese sandwich with a balsamic reduction (you can find our recipe here) or balsamic glaze alongside your mini sandwiches to dip in if you like.
This recipe makes 6, but you can easily add a larger dish and more sandwiches for a large crowd.
CHEFS NOTE: Make up some pre-cooked, pre-sliced chicken to add to your sliders for a more filling option and to create Caprese Chicken Sliders. Nom, nom! No matter how you do it, you will LOVE them.
- Make up some pre-cooked, pre-sliced chicken to add to your sliders for a more filling option and to create Caprese Chicken Sliders. Nom, nom! No matter how you do it, you will LOVE them. You can find all sorts of different toppings that would work well with this recipe including pepperoni, ham, bacon, salami, prosciutto, etc. Feel free to experiment.
- You can substitute any type of mini sandwich roll for this recipe.
- Serve with balsamic glaze, Honey Mustard Sauce, or Honey BBQ Sauce.
Types of rolls that work well for Sliders
While we HIGHLY recommend sweet rolls, sometimes they are not always an option. Try one of these other choices for slider bread.
- Whole Wheat Rolls – These tend to be heavier so they hold their shape better during cooking.
- Soft Baguettes– Soft baguette breads have a softer texture than regular baguettes. Just slice down to size you need.
- Pretzel Rolls – Pretzels are great because they don’t get soggy and are super filling.
- Hamburger Buns – As a throw back to my childhood, we would use hamburger buns for regular sandwiches all the time.
- Dinner Rolls – Dinner rolls come in a variety of types from white to wheat, sweet to flavored, so pick and slice favorite dinner rolls.
Can you substitute Mozzarella for other Cheese?
Fresh mozzarella is totally my favorite, but I would be lying to you if I didn’t say that Burrata takes the cake on the Caprese for me. The thing is that it’s a specialty cheese with cream inside so could make a serious mess of heating up lunch.
You can also try other white cheeses (thickly sliced) like Provolone or Monterrey Jack, which will work in a pinch if you can’t run to the store.
Have a party and need other delicious food items to serve?
A party IS a good reason to break the diet and make some old family favorites as well as some new amazing dishes.
- Cowboy Caviar – This is a gorgeous salsa with a variety of amazing spices and serves perfectly on tortilla chips
- Christmas Tree Pull Apart Bread – Typically served in Christmas, this party appetizer is served up to look like a pretty Christmas tree. Simply pull off the sides for a one bite meal your guests will really love.
- Neiman Marcus Dip – Million dollar dip for a million dollar flavor! If you are spicing up your counter with a lot of dips, make sure you put this one right on it. There is a reason its a party favorite.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip without Ranch – Blue Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip without Ranch, is a creamy and easy oven baked Buffalo Chicken dip recipe with Frank’s hot sauce, Cheddar, and Crumbled Blue Cheese!
Connect with Us!