If you are looking for the traditional corn casserole recipe with Jiffy, this isn’t it. However, this is an uber cheesy, ultra delicious corn casserole side dish with loads of corn kernels, oodles of cheese, and corn meal. Consistency wise, this recipe brings together regular corn meal (making it stand quite like corn bread over an ooey gooey casserole dish), but boxed Jiffy still works as a sweeter substitution.
If you are looking for an alteration of the same old corn casserole recipe (not hating, its my favorite in holiday times) this unique take on a delicious hometown Southern dish might just fit the bill.
Cheesy Cornbread Casserole
Just a note about the ingredient list below. You can substitute frozen (thawed) corn for regular ears of corn that you shuck. Its about 8 large ears to equal the 2 pounds of corn should you want to go the SUPER homemade corn casserole route.
Below are the ingredients to make this cheesy casserole side dish. Please scroll to the bottom of the post for a printer friendly version of this with full step by step instructions.
- baking powder
- cayenne pepper
- frozen corn
- sour cream
- shredded Colby jack cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
- green onions
Prep the Casserole Dish
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Prep the Corn Mixture
In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, pepper and cayenne. Mix well. Set flour mixture aside.
Add half of the thawed corn and chopped onion to a food processor and pulse for 10 seconds.
Add corn and onion mixture to bowl of flour mixture and mix all ingredients together well.
Stir in remaining corn, sour cream, half of the shredded cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, eggs and butter.
Can freshly shaved Parmesan Cheese be substituted?
There is no reason that fresh Parmesan cheese cannot be added into this recipe.
Can Jiffy Corn Mix be used over boxed Cornmeal?
I have not personally substituted Jiffy corn muffin mixed in this recipe yet but its on my radar to try in the near future. That doesn’t mean you cant try! After all, recipes are meant to be experimented with. If I was going to substitute, I would eliminate the cornmeal, baking soda and flour and substitute for 1 box of Jiffy. I make no guarantees it will “work” but in theory should be fine and provide a sweet taste.
What kind of Shredded Cheese goes best in Cheesy Casserole?
The best cheese to use in this recipe is shredded cheddar, Colby jack or Monterey jack. If you want to bring some spice into this dish, try pepper jack instead.
Can cheesy corn casserole go into a Ninja Foodi?
This recipe hasn’t been tested for the Ninja Foodi, but here is a Ninja Foodi Corn Casserole Recipe that has been.
Bake Cheesy Corn Casserole
Pour corn mixture into prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
Sprinkle top of casserole with remaining shredded cheese and grated Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until slightly puffy and cheese is golden brown.
Let casserole cool for 10 minutes before sprinkling with green onions and serving.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs. 32 oz. frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package, 8 oz. shredded Colby jack or Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, pepper and cayenne. Mix all dry ingredients well. Set aside.
- Add half of the thawed corn and minced onion to a food processor and pulse for 10 seconds.
- Add corn/onion mixture to flour mixture combine together.
- Stir in remaining corn, sour cream, half of the shredded cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 2 eggs and butter. Mix well.
- Pour cheesy corn mixture into prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese and rest of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until slightly puffy and cheese is golden brown.
- Let casserole cool for 10 minutes before sprinkling with green onions and serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 516mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.