Loaded Cauliflower Casserole Recipe with bacon and cheese is a “skip the baked potato recipe” that will make you want more. And because its low carb and Keto friendly, you can keep this side dish on the menu no matter who is coming to dinner tonight!
People say you can trick your kids into thinking mashed cauliflower is the same as mashed potatoes. I am here to tell you…never in the history of the world have my kids been fooled by cauliflower. And truthfully, why trick them?
Loaded Cauliflower Casserole is freaking delicious and kids have crappy palettes, so try not to be too disappointed if they push this aside and ask for french fries.
I say, if you are feeling extra feisty, also serve up this broccoli cheese casserole and really make them made at you.
For us seasoned adults, especially ones looking for the best keto sides, you will release in this healthy loaded cauliflower casserole (one of the best low carb sides) that makes you feel like eating your veggies is a treat. Smother in cheese, top with bacon and sour cream, and you will have a piled up plate of goodness that makes you want to eat your veggies.
LOADED CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
This loaded cauliflower casserole recipe is so good and its pretty easy. This casserole is also a keto side dish so you if you need low carb sides to serve up, this recipe meets your needs.
- 1 head cauliflower (Steamed) (which translates to 6 cups Cauliflower Rice)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons homemade ranch seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons real bacon bits, divided
- optional for a creamier texture: 1/4th cup whole whipping cream
RECIPE NOTES: You can skip the whole steaming fresh cauliflower heads by purchasing Cauliflower Rice. 1 bag is typically 3 cups, so you need 2 bags of cauliflower rice ( 6 cups total) and then proceed at the mashing part once steamed.
Low Carb Cauliflower Casserole
Dietary: Heads up! This cauliflower casserole is a Low Carb, KETO Friendly, and Gluten Free Side Dish! Remember by pinning this special PIN!
Disclaimer: Dietary information provided by Carb Manager. If you are on a KETO or Low Carb diet, always make sure to double check your own information with this or My Fitness Pal based on the brands and weights you use. I am not responsible for the calculations but do try to provide as much information as possible for readers to make informed decisions.
STEAMING FRESH HEAD OF CAULIFLOWER
When making cauliflower casserole, you can either use raw cauliflower and rice it down OR use already riced cauliflower. Each bag has about 3 cups of pre-riced cauliflower, so plan accordingly. If you want to use raw cauliflower, here is how you do it.
- Break apart the head of the cauliflower and discard the green leaves.
- Steam cauliflower until a fork can easily be stuck into the vegetable.
- Or use fresh steamed cauliflower RICE, see note above on using cauliflower rice
Keto Friendly Cauliflower Casserole
Preheat oven to 350!
Mash cauliflower in a large mixing bowl.
Season with salt and pepper.
Set aside 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese.
Add remaining cheddar cheese, sour cream, ranch seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and 3 tablespoons of bacon bits to the cauliflower and mix well. If you are adding the whole whipping cream option, add at this stage.
Transfer cauliflower into a small baking dish and heat for 35 minutes until hot.
Remove cauliflower casserole from oven and immediately sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and 1 tablespoon bacon bits. You can even top with this cheese sauce!
Need more options to eat? Try one of these delicious casserole side dish options
- Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole with Ritz Cracker Topping
- Spaghetti Squash Boats with Cheese
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
(updated picture from cooking this Keto Friendly Cauliflower Casserole Side Dish this week!)
Loaded Cauliflower Casserole with Cheese and Bacon | KETO
- Preheat oven to 350
- You need to first steam your fresh cauliflower head. Break apart the head of the cauliflower and discard the green leaves. Steam cauliflower until a fork can easily be stuck into the vegetable. Mash cauliflower in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- If you prefer to use cauliflower rice, you need approximately 6 cups of steamed cauliflower rice.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese and then add remaining cheddar cheese, sour cream, ranch seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and 3 tablespoons of bacon bits to the cauliflower and mix well. If you are adding whole whipping cream as the optional ingredient, add at this stage.
- Transfer cauliflower into a small baking dish and heat for 35 minutes until hot.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and 1 tablespoon bacon bits.
- Serve white hot and melty.
- CAULIFLOWER Note: You can skip the whole steaming fresh cauliflower heads by purchasing Cauliflower Rice.
- 1 bag is typically 3 cups, so you need 2 bags of cauliflower rice ( 6 cups total) and then proceed at the mashing part once steamed.
- Additionally, we went back and tested adding 1/4th cup whole whipping cream to the recipe and like the creamy texture option. If you have any in your house, add that in at the sour cream stage!