Pressure Cooker Sweet Potatoes cut time in half, making sweet potatoes from an hour to a quarter of the time!
Perfect for the Ninja Foodi all-in-one or the Instant Pot Pressure cooker, sweet potatoes can be made the EASY way, and both instructions are below.
It’s so simple to make, peel, place, and pressure!
You can use your nearly instant sweet potatoes to make various delicious recipes without the hassle.
Yum, yum, yum!
Once you learn how to pressure cook sweet potatoes, you can turn them into a much quicker sweet potato casserole, mix them with herbs or enjoy this perfect side dish without the hour of oven time.
Pressure Cooker Sweet Potatoes: IP or Ninja Foodi?
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions so you can follow along in your kitchen with your specific pressure-cooking device.
- 2 lbs raw sweet potatoes – peeled but left whole (about five potatoes)
Ninja Foodi Sweet Potatoes
- Peel sweet potatoes and place them into Ninja Foodi inner pot.
- Add 1 cup of water directly to the pot.
- Place the pressure cooker lid onto the Ninja Foodi and seal it shut.
- Close the pressure release valve.
- Set the Ninja Foodi on Pressure Cooker HIGH for 12 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick release any remaining steam.
- Carefully twist open the Foodi.
- Remove potatoes from the pot with tongs and mash with a potato masher (if you want).
- Season pressure cooked sweet potatoes as you like.
How to make Pressure Cooker Sweet Potatoes
with the Instant Pot
This recipe should work with almost any pressure cooker, but you may need to adjust the times slightly.
You only know till after you test it out and see if you need a softer potato, but it SHOULD be close to working well for you. Once you learn how to cook sweet potatoes in a pressure cooker, it takes a quarter of the time to make them in the oven.
- Peel sweet potato skin, and place them into an ovenproof bowl that fits into your instant pot.
- Place the trivet into the instant pot and add 1 cup of water.
- Place the bowl on top of the trivet.
- Place the lid onto the instant pot and seal it shut.
- Sealing position: Close the pressure release valve.
- Set the instant pot to manual, high pressure for a cook time of 12 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and quickly release any remaining steam.
- Carefully open the instant pot.
- Remove potatoes from the pot and mash with a potato masher.
Pressure Cooker Timing
No matter which pressure cooker you use, 12 minutes on high and natural release for 10 works perfectly.
Sweeten those Sweet Potatoes!
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add your favorite toppings and seasonings!
- Stir in butter, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well and serve immediately.
- Top with additional butter or even mini marshmallows if desired.
What is Quick Release vs. Natural Release?
Quick-releasing pressure means you put a towel over the valve and open it. The steam shoots out and is absorbed by the towel.
It’s SUPER HOT, so be careful! I prefer to cover it with a towel because I swear that steam sticks to walls and cabinets.
The other way to release pressure is naturally. You can leave it on (The L and time will show, it counts UP to show you how long it’s been on Low) and just let it be.
Eventually, the pressure comes down. That time varies for every item you put in it. Even though you naturally release something for X amount of time, all the pressure may not be released, and then you’ll also need to do a quick release.
Once the pressure is released, you can open the lid. Pressure must be released for the lid to open.
Note about coming under pressure:
The exact instant pot in this post is the IP DUO60 V2. Time for IPs is challenging.
You turn it on, and it has to come under pressure before it begins cooking. That time will depend on what is in it. It typically takes about 15 minutes to come to pressure, and then the cooking time begins.
This pressure cooker counts DOWN for cooking. When it comes to pressure, it will say 15 (minutes) and then go down until the pressure is done.
When pressure is set, this pressure cooker stays on low until you set the cooking times. Pressure cookers can vary in how this is done – for my Ninja Foodi, you put the time on, and it does the pressure and begins cooking immediately once it’s to pressure.
Serve this Side Dish
You can even find sweet potatoes in salad!
Related Sweet Potato Recipes
You can’t have a Thanksgiving dinner without crock pot sweet potato casserole! No matter how you make it, you MUST make it!~