Move over steamed wontons; these incredible Air Fryer Taco Bell Wontons are the perfect pairing for homemade tacos.
Delicious cooked seasoned beef and cheese stuffed into a wonton (or eggroll) shell makes an excellent dipper for all your favorite sauces.
Why you will love making Air Fryer Wontons
Great Mexican Appetizer – These taco wontons are a perfect Taco Tuesday dinner and a fantastic party platter option. Easy to customize with different proteins (ground beef, sausage, or shredded chicken), this is a fantastic non-boring finger food recipe.
An excuse to break out the air fryer – I often find that I only break out the pressure cooker and air fryer when it’s dinner time, but this budget-friendly recipe is a great excuse to use it for a snack or appetizer as well.
- Taco meat (cooked) – We recommend using a Taco Bell packet of Taco seasoning to give that authentic fast food taste.
- Shredded cheese – There are many cheese options for making wonton tacos. Try a mixed Mexican-style cheese or something with a cheddar blend.
- Wonton wrappers or egg roll wrappers- In the original tiktok video, they used EGG ROLL WRAPPERS, but we had leftover wonton wrappers from our TikTok S’mores Samasos recipe and used the rest of those. They are SMALLER than egg roll wrappers, so they hold less of the wonton filling. You can use either one.
- nonstick cooking spray
- Favorite toppings – We suggest a variety of dipping options for taco night! Try salsa, sour cream, air fryer salsa Verde, sweet chili sauce, or hot sauce.
Changes we made to the original viral tiktok recipe: The original video we saw used egg roll wrappers, so these wonton wrappers are much smaller.
Our thoughts on this tiktok trend: Fried taco bell wontons are pretty good! They are crispy on the outside and hot on the inside; They are excellent dipped in salsa, bean dip, and/or sour cream.
How to make Taco Bell Wontons
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Working with one wonton wrapper at a time, fill with one teaspoon taco meat and one teaspoon cheese.
- Wet your finger and use that to wet the edge of the wonton wrapper.
- Fold the wrapper and seal it shut. Repeat until all wontons are filled.
- Working in batches, place wontons into an air fryer basket.
- Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Each Air Fryer will have its terminology for air fryer. We are using a Ninja Foodi, and it’s called “air crisp.” Air Crisp (or air fry) for 7 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove from basket and repeat until all wontons are cooked.
- Serve with delicious custom toppings or dipping sauce like sour cream and salsa.
More Viral Recipes
Have you ever seen super viral trends and hacks and wonder if they WORK? We test out some of the internets most virally shared recipes and let you know if they are worth your time and money.
Visit VIRAL RECIPES and begin cooking with confidence today!
Are wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers the same?
Wonton wrappers are smaller than egg roll wrappers but are made from the same dough ingredients. They are interchangeable in many recipes but not ALL (like ones that steam). For air-fried taco wontons, either wrapper type can be used.
Wonton wrappers tend to be small, but you can stuff a lot of flavor into a wonton recipe! Flavor the meat with chopped green chilies, cloves garlic, pepper flakes, and black pepper to make every bite delicious.
Related Viral Mexican Recipes
- This awesome Mexican street corn salad recipe, rated nearly five stars by visitors, is a great side dish option.
- Not only is your air fryer a great option for these taco wontons, but learn how to make Air Fryer Tortilla Chips as well!
- Totally easy, this sheet pan quesadilla recipe is a quick, kid-friendly weeknight meal.
- There is a reason this TikTok Smoked Queso Recipe went viral!
- Need more dips? Try a slow cooker cheeseburger dip recipe or a crock pot velveeta cheese dip recipe – both will hit the spot and feed the party!