Asparagus quiche with bacon (or ham), Parmesan and eggs is a perfect breakfast side dish recipe (without the crust) and a filling way to get the day started. Guilt free and family friendly, this asparagus quiche recipe is just what you needed to get your protein and veggies all in one.
When we talk about side dishes we often only really consider our lunch and dinners. However the most important meal of the day, breakfast, also need something to accompany its eggs. From bacon to cut tomatoes, there are so many breakfast side dish recipe options out there.
Now the real difference in a quiche and a frittata, according to most websites, is that a quiche usually as a crust and a frittata does not. But you can make a quiche without laying it into a pie crust because the rendered bacon fat and eggs do all the work. And while this cat iron pan asparagus bacon quiche recipe is quite large, its also fine to make an easy mini breakfast quiche by using prepared or silicone muffin tins.
Perfect Spring Time Asparagus Quiche
This crustless asparagus quiche, a delicious bacon, egg and veggie bake, is perfect not only for a filling breakfast, but also makes a hearty dinner as well. If you are looking for a breakfast side dish recipe that meets your menu needs, this asparagus quiche recipe is amazing for that. You can also add mushrooms, leeks, or spinach to mix it up as this Parmesan quiche a really forgiving recipe.
- MEAT: In this quiche recipe, I prefer bacon. It has the best crunch and balances the asparagus really well. Approximately 6 slices of bacon usually does the trick, but I wont judge if you load up on bacon. Additionally other great meats include ham and sausage.
- VEGETABLES: As this is an asparagus quiche, you need some asparagus! But many people enjoy a lot more veggies so feel free to add mushrooms or spinach.
- EGG MIXTURE: Eggs, Heavy cream, and flour make up a simple and class quiche.
- CHEESE: With these ingredients, freshly shredded Parmesan cheese is the best but other cheeses that go with quiche include difference cheese blends or cheeses like feta or goat cheese.
- SEASONINGS: salt, dash pepper, pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
Quiche Recipe Tips:
- I didn’t drain the bacon grease but you certainly can. I maybe should have, but it tasted great, it was just bubbling grease around the edges when I pulled it from the oven. Drain, return bacon and asparagus to pan. You can transfer to a baking dish if you don’t have an ovenproof or cast iron pan. Not that this is what falls under a “healthy dish” but if you are watching specific nutritional values, it might be worth noting to drain.
- Make sure the pan is greased so the eggs do not stick cause that does happen often when you work with eggs.
- The best thing about recipes is the ability to take a base quiche recipe like this and create your own masterpiece! Try making a feta quiche, a bacon chive crustless quiche, or a variety of seasonal vegetables to make a spring quiche (think mushrooms, onions and fresh seasonal herbs).
How to make Parmesan Asparagus Quiche
To make quiche you want to make sure you are using an oven safe skillet that has been treated to prevent sticking. After preheating the oven, proceed with the crustless quiche recipe.
Combining and cooking veggies is the first step before adding in the egg and cheese mixture.
Please see note above about excess grease in pan.
The egg and cheese mixture then finishes with the egg cooking all the vegetables and bacon inside the quiche, which only takes about 15 minutes. No crust needed!
Variations to Egg and Bacon Quiche
There are plenty other ways to make the perfect spring quiche. Here are just a few ingredient variations to consider.
- crumbled sausage – make sure any additional meats are fully cooked prior to adding
- ham – ham usually comes fully cooked but make sure and add at the same point you add asparagus for the heat
- mushrooms – sliced fresh cremini mushrooms are a great quiche option
- green peppers – try slicing green peppers super thin length wise for some color and crunch
- onions – while white onions are always welcome in dishes, try cutting up green scallions
- spinach leaves – typically the most common quiche ingredient, spinach shrinks down in a quiche
Is Quiche Keto Friendly or Low Carb?
In this recipe I use flour to help the quiche stick and rise, so that would likely fall out of most keto recipes. That being said, you can try to substitute with other flour options, like almond flour, I just do not know if the bake would rise in the same way as I haven’t tested it.
Why is my quiche watery?
If you alter the diary or overpour, quiche can be too liquidly. We recommend heavy whipping cream and our recipe cuts down a lot of the liquid other recipes sometimes add in. Additionally, we use a bit of flour to balance out and thicken up the egg mixture which really helps with a crustless quiche recipe.
Do eggs stick in pan?
Any time you make eggs you run the risk of eggs sticking. I always try to properly season or spray down pans prior to making eggs.
More Asparagus Side Dishes
- Cheesy Asparagus Baked and Keto Friendly
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus (great appetizer~)
- Oven Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan
- Roasted Asparagus and Potatoes
- Asparagus Quiche
- Asparagus Pizza
- Roasted Asparagus (plain)
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
If you created this recipe and made awesome changes, we want to know! Please share in the comments so we can continue to provide your creative ideas to anyone that may be considering making this recipe.
Crustless Asparagus Quiche
- 6 strips bacon - cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup asparagus - cut into 1/4" pieces
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper - optional
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add bacon to a cast iron skillet and cook bacon until almost crispy.
- Stir in prepped and cut asparagus pieces and cook in the bacon fat for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, heavy whipping cream, Parmesan cheese, flour, salt and pepper. Whisk all quiche ingredients together well.
- Pour egg mixture into pan along side bacon and asparagus.
- Bake crustless quiche for 12-15 minutes or until egg is set in the center.
- Makes 8 slices of asparagus quiche.
- There really are so many other options when it comes to cooking a morning quiche, from adding tons of vegetables to the other end of the spectrum of sausage, ham and and bacon. This recipe is pretty forgiving and you can add your favorite ingredients.
- Other cheese options that go great are feta, blue cheese, cheddar.
- To make crustless quiche Atkins, low carb and keto friendly, remove flour.