Enjoy gourmet BLTs complete with slices of avocado with bacon-wrapped tomato slices.
What’s not to love about this classic sandwich recipe that is dialed up to become the BEST BLT you have ever eaten?
Crispy bacon with ripe tomatoes is a great way to set aside some time for lunch (or as a dinner recipe!) and truly enjoy this simple but effective way to use the skillet and take lunchtime up a notch.
Why you should make a Fancy BLT.
Adults deserve some fun, too – We have all enjoyed delicious appetizers like bacon-wrapped baby potatoes and bacon-wrapped jalapenos, but wrapping tomato slices and creating a gourmet BLT is next-level adult food.
Another excuse to eat bacon – Bacon doesn’t have to be shoved to the side of the plate as a second prize to an egg sandwich.
And while there are a million ways to eat bacon, from oven bacon to air-fried bacon, wrapping bacon around other foods is my new way to down meat candy.
Where did Bacon Wrapped Tomatoes come from?
We originally saw this bacon-wrapped tomato recipe on TikTok from creator @textykitchen1. Touted as a great way to enjoy bacon and an exceptionally fancy way to make the best BLT, crispy bacon is a crowd-pleasing way to enjoy lunch.
See the entire recipe video below for inspo.:
- One fresh tomato sliced 1/2″ thick – Any tomato is fine; we like beefsteak or an heirloom tomato.
- Two slices bacon left raw
- fresh spinach leaves
- everything bagel seasoning
- Two slices favorite bread
How to make Bacon Wrapped Tomato Slices
- Wrap slices of tomatoes in 2 strips of bacon each, spreading evenly to cover the entire tomato.
- Place Into a hot skillet and cook until bacon slices are browned on both sides.
- Remove from heat and prepare the sandwich. As a side note, excess grease can be dapped off with a paper towel.
- Spread mayonnaise onto the slices of bread and add spinach or butter lettuce and tomato-wrapped bacon to one slice of bread.
- Top tomato sandwich with sliced avocado and everything bagel seasoning. Alternatively, you can add black pepper and season with salt.
- Add the second slice of bread on top. Serve immediately.
Our thoughts on this TikTok Viral Recipe –
There are a lot of comments on the original viral video about the bacon not being cooked. The bacon in this recipe is cooked. I began by cooking it with a lid to “steam” more meat vs. just cooking the outside.
I then removed the lid to make the bacon crispy on the outside. I did eat this, and the “uncooked” bacon in the center, which isn’t uncooked, is like eating Canadian bacon or ham! HA!
The center is cooked but not crispy like most people prefer bacon. Of course, if you put more than two slices around the tomato, you may have issues with it cooking.
Optional Flavor Ideas
Roasted Garlic Aioli or ranch dip works great with a bit of moisture and extra seasoning.
Toast bread of choice – crusty bread goes with everything and is especially delicious on a BLT sandwich.
Add slices of cheese (grated cheese is great too).
The bacon brings plenty of salty flavor to this dish, but it’s fine to season tomatoes first if preferred.
I like regular bacon because it’s easier to get a crisp bacon crust out of it, but thick-cut bacon is fine in a pinch. Just be careful about too much overlapping.
Related Sandwich Recipes
Move over ham sliders; these Caprese sliders with sweet Hawaiian rolls are everyone’s favorite.
You won’t believe how flavor-filled these tiktok pesto eggs are paired with smoky bacon and white bread. Worth the recipe!
One of the most viral trends in the past year, this tiktok tortilla wrap wasn’t exactly a recipe, but it sure was an amazing hack. You may never look at a large tortilla the same way again.