Blue Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps are a savory side dish, appetizer or full on filling meal that only need 3 ingredients and 20 minutes to done.
Oven baked Portobello mushrooms, each bite is rich in flavor and is a unique and filling side dish that isn’t overly common. While I love traditional side dishes like roasted broccoli or cheesy asparagus, these mushrooms go amazing with baked chicken or can be satisfying as a meal on their own.
If you have yet to ever stuff a mushroom, you are in for a real treat. Once you learn the best way to bake a mushroom, you can easily change out the variety of cheese (hello goat cheese and feta!) or other stuffing ingredients quite easily for a more custom side.
What do Portobello Mushrooms Taste like?
Mushrooms are earthy and kind of dirt like. They fall under the category that a lot of ground veggies (like beets, radishes and okra) fall into – which is an “acquired taste.” But just like with our cream cheese stuffed Portobello mushrooms, the flavor of the earth fades a bit with more creamy ingredients.
BAKED MUSHROOMS GROCERY LIST
In 20 minutes, there is no excuse not to whip this up for a low carb (yes, even with the bit of bread) lunch that will get you straight through till dinner.
Here are the ingredients you need to stuff and bake Portobello Mushrooms.
- Portobello mushrooms
- crumbled blue cheese
- bread crumbs
How to Stuff Portobello Mushrooms
This baked Portobello mushroom recipe is really straight forward. Truly 3 ingredients, all the flavor comes right from the cheese and mushroom. The combination of both is a fantastic recipe. Surprisingly because its so simple, roasting up mushrooms right on a sheet pan might be your new favorite side!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If you have not purchased only mushroom caps (availability is different at each store), remove stem from mushroom and discard.
- Place Portobello mushrooms, mushroom gill side up, on a baking sheet.
- Spoon 2 oz. of blue cheese into each mushroom cap (more if you want more!). RECIPE NOTE: 2 oz. of cheese is equivalent to 4 tablespoons.
- Sprinkle each cap with 1-2 teaspoon each of bread crumbs.
- Bake mushroom caps for 17-20 minutes, till the mushroom is tender, cheese is slightly melty, and the bread crumbs have a slight brown.
- Serve immediately while blue cheese is still warm and gooey in the center.
Stuffing Mushroom Variations
Of course blue cheese isn’t the only thing you can stuff your mushroom with. Just by changing the cheese itself you can create a whole new recipe. But don’t let that be all! Like with Grilled Portobello mushrooms, chopped tomatoes are a lovely addition with flavor and color, balsamic vinegar or stick to seasonal fish favorites.
- Seafood – Shrimp, Crab Meat
- Vegetables – Diced Onions, Diced Mushrooms
- Cheeses – Try other crumbled cheeses like feta or goat cheese or even top with fresh shredded Parmesan for a golden top
More Mushroom Side Dish Recipes
- Roasted Garlic Mushrooms – Roasted Garlic Mushrooms, made easily on a sheet pan and coated with melted butter and delicious minced garlic, makes a savory 15 minute side dish or an easy appetizer.
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Cream Cheese – Stuffed Mushrooms with cream cheese are an easy appetizer to whip up. This is the easiest stuffed mushroom recipe sure to produce the most mouthwatering and delicious mushroom caps you will eat this year.
- Mushrooms and Onions – Soft, savory and sautéed mushrooms and onions are deliciously caramelized in a cast iron pan and a perfect mushroom and onions side dish recipe.
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms – A simple recipe, there is nothing more than marinating and then grilling before you can cut into and enjoy all the flavors the earth has to offer!
- Parmesan Cream Cheese Portobello Mushrooms – I would say that that the best thing about these stuffed Portobello mushrooms is that they are keto and low carb, but the truth is, they are filling, rich, simple to make and just SO good.
- 2 large portabella mushroom caps
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 2 teaspoons bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Remove any additional left behind stem from mushroom cap and discard.
- Place Portobello mushrooms, brown gill side up, on a baking sheet.
- Spoon 2 oz. of crumbled blue cheese into each mushroom cap.
- Top with 1 teaspoon each of bread crumbs on the blue cheese.
- Bake mushrooms in the oven for 20 minutes and serve immediately while creamy and hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 347mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.
Title Page Separator Site title