Nothing screams “Halloween Appetizer” louder than my new favorite themed recipe: Mummy Garlic Bread!
Well, the season is almost here, and there are just SOOO many ways to cook creatively for Halloween WITHOUT increasing your intake of sweets, which is a huge plus!
Why you will love making Halloween Mummy Bread
Mummy Garlic Bread is a Halloween take on crusty parmesan garlic bread, and it’s anything but a nightmare to make!
In fact, this recipe is straightforward, using frozen garlic bread, strips of delicious ooey-gooey-melty cheese, and a couple of olives for your mummy eyes.
While it’s great to bring to a party, I also use the lead-up to Halloween as an excuse to make as much of this as possible–after all, everyone could use more cheesy garlic bread in their lives!
Mummy Garlic Bread uses only a handful of simple ingredients!
- Frozen garlic bread (french bread typically): you’ll want to buy one that comes as a full or half loaf, not pre-sliced. They usually come with garlic butter or melted butter already prepped onto the bread. While breadsticks are great as a side dish, they typically do not have the surface area to make a full mummy, so I shy away from them for cosmetic reasons when being made for a Halloween party.
- Cheese sticks – Cheese sticks are usually mozzarella cheese that you cut into a cheese strip. They can come in other flavors, like cheddar cheese, but those are orange and don’t look quite like a mummy.
- Black Olives: slice olives into ¼” rounds.
- Dipping sauce: Delicious garlic bread deserves delicious sauce for dipping. Try marinara sauce or a ranch dip recipe if you want to make it “extra.”
How to make Mummy Garlic Bread
- Preheat the oven according to the package directions. Open the frozen loaf and place a piece of bread open side up on a baking sheet. Slice each loaf in half.
- Bake according to package directions, paying attention to whether or not you need an ungreased baking sheet or a greased one. While bread is baking, slice cheese into thin strips, about 1/8″ thick and of varying sizes. Set aside.
- Once the bread is baking and golden brown, add cheese in a mummy-like pattern on each loaf of bread, making sure to make space for the eyes.
- Return to the oven and broil for 2-4 minutes on high, carefully watching that cheese doesn’t burn. Remove from oven, top with olive eyes and serve immediately.
Can I make my own garlic bread?
If time is on your side, and you have a garlic bread recipe you love, go for it! I love the ease of frozen garlic bread, but you can absolutely use homemade.
To make your own garlic bread spread, slice one French or Italian bread loaf lengthwise. Melt 1 stick of butter and combine with 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic. ½ cup finely chopped parsley is optional. Bake at 400℉ for 10-12 minutes.
Once it comes out of the oven, add your cheese wraps and broil as per the recipe, then remove from the oven and add your olives!
Can I use other cheeses to make the Mummy wraps?
You don’t have to use string cheese to make Mummy Bread, although I find that mozzarella (usually the type of cheese used in string cheese) is best for making the wraps.
You can also use thin slices of white cheddar or Monterey Jack.
How to store garlic bread
I don’t recommend storing leftover Halloween Garlic bread in the fridge, as it will get dried out. Instead, the freezer is your best option for leftovers.
- Remove any olive eyes and wrap your bread in aluminum foil and then in a freezer-safe bag with as much air removed as you can. Frozen bread will keep for up to 3 months.
- When ready to use it, remove it from the bag, keep it inside the foil, and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350℉. The cheese wraps may be pretty melted the second time around, but it will still taste delicious!
How to create the “Mummy-wrapped look”:
To achieve the best “Mummy” look, start by cutting your cheese into thin strips. Layer strips across the skinniest length of the bread, crossing them over each other randomly at a slight angle.
Make sure to leave some space for the eyes! Because the cheese will melt together slightly during the broiling process, it’s a good idea to leave a little bit of space between strips.
- Don’t burn your cheese! You got it just right, don’t spoil the look! When broiling, keep a close eye on your Mummy’s to ensure the cheese doesn’t burn!
Garlic Bread Variations
Combine butter mixture, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder underneath a slice of cheese (mummy slices) for a dialed-up and delicious frozen-to-fresh garlic bread recipe.
Related Halloween Food Ideas
- This is one of those amazing Halloween cupcake ideas!
- Strawberry Halloween Ghosts have the goodness of a chocolate treat rolled up in a fresh strawberry.
- Classic ideas, like this recipe for Popcorn Balls with Marshmallows, bring fall in with a splash!
- You def need the best Buckeye Ball Recipe! This old-fashioned throwback to chocolate and peanut butter has a huge fan base.
- Ready for an awesome Halloween party? Serve up this Pumpkin Fluff recipe to the crowd!
Connect with Us!