This easy Keto Alfredo sauce is so delicious; you won’t believe it’s keto! Quick to whip up on the stovetop, the grated Parmesan and flavorful garlic combined with simple ingredients are perfect for smothering on zucchini noodles or serving with chicken for the ultimate Keto Chicken Alfredo.
This pasta sauce can skip the pasta (and the carb count) for a perfect low-carb cheese sauce.
Why you will love this White Sauce Recipe
Right now, you are probably searching for one of the following:
- Alfredo sauce recipe
- How to make Alfredo sauce
- Easy Alfredo sauce
No fear, you have found it! Many fettuccini alfredo recipes contain (or store-bought alfredo sauces) extra additives like flour (which knock it right out of keto), but it’s an unnecessary ingredient. The thick Fresh Parmesan cheese and heavy cream keep this one perfect for pouring.
Homemade Keto Alfredo sauce
Note: There is no cream cheese in this LOW CARB Alfredo Sauce; however, to thicken the sauce if you would like, add a bit and melt in. Many people are sensitive to cream cheese, so we purposely left this ingredient out.
- Butter – Unsalted butter works best as Parmesan cheese typically is a bit salty on its own.
- Heavy whipping cream – Full fat heavy whipping cream (not half and half or milk) provides cream sauces with the best rich flavor.
- Minced garlic – I keep a large jar of minced garlic in the fridge, but if you want to get fancy, you can oven roast garlic.
- Parmesan cheese – We use freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Optional: Italian Seasoning, Cajun seasoning, Black Pepper, and Chopped parsley for garnish (optional).
Low Carb Alfredo Complements Veggies
You can keep this meal keto-friendly by healthy baking some chicken and adding this recipe for Alfredo Sauce.
But chicken isn’t the only way to enjoy low carb creamy sauces! Here are some delicious kitchen tips, from dinner recipes to unique but delicious crowd-pleasing options, that we suggest for your kitchen.
- Fettuccine, Ravioli, Tortellini – Absolutely NOT diet or low carb in any way, but if you are my kids and can eat ANYTHING, this is how it’s served up. I like the cheese-stuffed tortellini’s or fettuccine alfredo if I add in the pasta noodles. Or have you tried pasta chips?
- Pizza Topping– No need for red sauce! You can use delicious Alfredo as a basis for pizza. Top with additional cheeses and chicken to make this one. Or, if kept in the available ketogenic diet, you can make cauliflower pizza crust. I haven’t done it before, but I hear it’s yum.
- Steamed Broccoli, Cauliflower, Asparagus, Fresh Green Beans, or Mushrooms– Steam up some fresh veggies and pour on the deliciousness! Veggies are a perfect way to soak up some Alfredo sauce. With whole whipping cream, butter, and garlic, you will be pretty pleased with how an ideal sauce lets veggies shine.
- Chicken – Grilled chicken tenders or baked chicken are quickly smothered with this sauce or used as a homemade sauce dip. Might be great with this creamy chicken recipe too!
How to make Keto Alfredo Sauce Recipe
Learning how to make simple homemade Alfredo sauce is not only a must but is way easier than you think. As a main traditional sauce usually combined with a favorite pasta (however, not in this case if you are keeping it clean), quality ingredients can make all the difference for the most delicious recipes.
- Melt butter, heavy whipping cream, and fresh garlic in a skillet and heat on medium low heat, frequently whisking until thick and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in Parmesan cheese. Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer.
- Continue to mix well until all cheese is melted. This can take a little time, so be patient. While not officially in the recipe, it is acceptable to season with salt & pepper (don’t overdo this), white pepper, or additional clove garlic for a more distinct flavor.
- Pour alfredo over pasta, veggies, or chicken top with chopped parsley if desired.
- It makes 2 cups of sauce that you can enjoy as a main dish or side dish.
To Thicken: Add in cream cheese.
To Thin: Add in more Heavy whipping cream.
To thicken low carb Alfredo Sauce
I have never used flour in any alfredo sauce recipe ever. Parmesan cheese typically does that on its own for me. However, add a bit of cream cheese to the saucepan if you desire a thicker sauce without a traditional roux (and still keeping alfredo sauce keto). This keeps it keto, but the cream cheese provides a thicker sauce.
How to store Alfredo Sauce.
Like most cheesy sauces, the longer it sits and cools, the more it starts to thicken and firm. To store this sauce, place it in an airtight container for 3-4 days. To reheat, place back in a saucepan and slowly heat till melty and warm. Add a bit of heavy whipping cream to thin.
Can you freeze Alfredo Sauce?
Many food blogger recipes recommend putting sauce in freezer bags and freezing for a month. However, I have found that cheese can separate from the cold to the stove, so I avoid recommending this sauce as a freezer item.
Low Carb Pasta Brands
Prefer to purchase some low-carb pasta to keep on hand?
- Low Carb Bread Company has tons of pasta options. Check out their highly rated spaghetti noodles here.
- Explore organic low-carb Fettuccini noodles here.
- All-natural CARB-NADA egg noodles are here.
Instead of Pasta Use:
- Zucchini Zoodles
- Cauliflower Rice
- Chicken Breast or Pork Chop
- In a casserole recipe
- Spaghetti Squash
Related Low Carb Recipes
- Our readers adore this carb-friendly and addictive cucumber dip recipe.
- Keto broccoli slaw is excellent for those watching what they eat and those that love food.
- Loaded with cheese, this cauliflower rice recipe is a go-to side dish for our house every month.
- Great for lunch or dinner, the perfect egg salad recipe is a must-know dish.
- 5 minute Keto Cheese Crisps. Eat as a snack or with a salad recipe.
Connect with Us!