Deep Fried Deviled Eggs in crispy Panko bread crumbs and a soft creamy yolk center is an absolutely indulgent holiday appetizer.
These deep fried, golden brown panko covered eggs are a true southern delicacy. Rich, delicious, and just the right amount of crunch, skip the old boring deviled egg and opt for the new.
Once you get the hang of deep frying these eggs, there is no turning back. The trick is to keep from eating them while you are making them!
Fried Deviled Eggs Ingredients
You may have tried deviled eggs before but until you try these Southern Deep Fried Deviled Eggs, you do NOT know what you are missing.
An egg appetizer, this recipe is a fantastic egg appetizer choice for Easter Sunday or those summer potlucks that everyone gathers at. These eggs are simple to make, and super addicting, however they do take a little prep due to the frying so plan accordingly.
As a recipe note, remember that each egg represents two deviled eggs, so 6 hard boiled eggs is 12 deviled eggs.
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- vegetable oil for frying
- real mayonnaise
- prepared mustard
- salt and pepper
- all purpose flour
- panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs (for coating)
Hard Boil or Pressure Cook Eggs
Before getting started on making fried deviled eggs, you will need to have boiled eggs ready! If you have a Ninja Foodi, you can check my recipe for Pressure Cooker Boiled Eggs or simply hard boil on the stove.
How to make Fried Deviled Eggs
- Cut hard boiled eggs in half and scoop the yolks onto a small mixing bowl. Set egg whites aside.
- Mash yolks with a fork.
- Add mayonnaise, prepared mustard, salt and pepper and mix well. Set deviled egg yolk mixture aside.
- Place flour into a shallow dish.
- Place Panko bread crumbs into a separate shallow dish and 2 eggs in another shallow dish.
- Beat eggs well.
- Dredge egg whites into flour, then egg and then panko crumbs.
Heat oil until hot and place egg whites into oil.
Pan fry, flipping eggs over halfway through, until bread crumbs are golden brown.
Drain any excess oil on paper towels.
Spoon egg yolk filling into each egg white, optionally sprinkle with Paprika for color, and serve immediately.
If you want to get fancy, put the yolk into a piping bag like you would frosting and pipe into the eggs.
6 boiled eggs makes 12 fried deviled eggs.
Deep Fried Deviled Eggs Recipe Questions
Serve Fried Deviled Eggs Hot or Cold?
The great thing about these crispy eggs is that they can be served warm OR cold!
Paprika or Smoked Paprika? I think is a major debate in our house because we are split on the smoky flavor versus the regular paprika. If you are a fan of smoky paprika, it goes great with this appetizer, so either really works as its an optional ingredient as it is.
Are Fried Deviled Eggs Low Carb? Sorry to say, this recipe isn’t low carb or keto friendly. If you are on a strict diet, this may not be the best recipe. Try Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos instead!
Variations for Fried Eggs – Easily mix favorite herbs or spices into the flour to bring out other flavors. If you want more Cajun heat, try a dash of cayenne. If you want a little sweet, try a dash of cinnamon. Additionally you can change the mustard to Dijon Mustard if you want a simple upgrade. Although it goes without saying, not all of these changes are complimentary to one another so make sure you consider the ingredients before changing everything!
Toppings for Deep Fried Deviled Eggs: Add a bit of crunchy bacon or relish to the top of the eggs prior to serving.
Can I use other bread crumbs over panko? You can, but I find that panko gives the best flavor and crunch.
Why did my egg explode while frying? Not just in deviled eggs, but in general egg whites can explode when the egg itself is old. Additionally eggs can break off and explode when there is excess moisture and it hits the hot oil.
Can deviled eggs sit overnight? A typically deviled egg is fine sealed up and eaten the next day. It might get a little watery if you get too generous with the mayo, but should be fine. Fried deviled eggs, however, wont have the same beauty crust. Anything fried (in general) should be made and enjoyed fresh.
Can you boil eggs for deviled eggs the day before? Yes, its not a problem to boil the eggs the night before, peel them and seal them up. Pat them completely dry of excess moisture before continuing on with the recipe. Eggs can be boiled up to 48 hours prior to use and still maintain freshness.
Serve with: These eggs go great with a little hot sauce!
More Party Appetizer Recipes
Typically when people are making deviled eggs, they are having a holiday or gathering as this is an appetizer recipe. If you are looking for more finger foods to serve, try one of these, which also make the taste buds happy!
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms – Cream Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are keto and low carb friendly for a holiday without the guilt.
- Ham Cheese Ball – Put that holiday ham to good use by serving up left overs in a delicious cheese ball with pecans and sweet ham.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip without Ranch – Total classic party dip, this Buffalo Chicken Dip is nearly at every party and works well with chips, crackers, or vegetable dippers.
- Bean Dip (made with Cream Cheese) – While the this bean dip recipe may be simple to make, the flavors are classic, warm and inviting!
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip – You can really only make this appetizer dip during the fall when cranberries are readily available, so do not let this recipe pass you by! Its totally worth the make – SO good and SO popular.
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup real mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
How to make Deep Fried Deviled Eggs
This recipe assumes that eggs are already hard boiled, peeled and cooled.
- Cut hard boiled eggs in half and scoop the yellow yolks onto a small mixing bowl.
- Set boiled egg whites aside on a plate.
- Mash yolks with a fork to remove lumps.
- Add Real mayonnaise, prepared yellow mustard, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Set deviled egg yolk mixture aside.
- Place flour into a shallow dish or on a plate.
- Place dry Panko bread crumbs into a separate shallow dish or plate.
- Beat 2 eggs in a separate shallow bowl and set aside.
- Dredge boiled egg whites into flour, then into egg yolk mixture and then into dry panko crumbs.
- Heat vegetable oil in large frying pan until sizzling hot and place egg whites into oil with tongs. Be careful as working with oil can be dangerous.
- Fry deviled eggs, flipping whites over halfway through, until bread crumbs are golden brown. If eggs are frying too quickly or get too brown, turn down heat. Its always best to test one egg first for timing.
- Drain crispy fried egg on paper towels. Complete with all eggs.
- Spoon egg yolk filling into each egg white center and serve Fried Deviled Eggs immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.